Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Hydroponics

So anyone who knows me, knows that I LOVE Disney and the Epcot is my favorite park to visit!! One of my favorite rides to go on there is Living with the Land. I love when we get to the Greenhouse part and get to see all the fruits and veggies that they grow for consumption on Disney property.

Photobucket

One of my dreams (besides a house that has a library with built in bookshelves, two overstuffed chairs with ottomans and a fireplace) is to have a small greenhouse. I so want to be able to grow my own fruits / veggies and have an idea now for a small garden, but an actual enclosed greenhouse would be amazing...

But I digress......

Anyways, one of the biggest highlights is the Hydroponic system that they have. They grow tomatos, lettuce, eggplant, etc. all using Hydroponics. Hydroponics is is a method of growing plants using mineral nutrient solutions, in water, without soil. It's one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

Photobucket

A local grocery store in Pittsburgh - Giant Eagle Market District (yes, I know, shocking that anything good comes from Pittsburgh) now has a Hydroponic section where customers can pick from rows and rows of Bibb Lettuce. This has become so popular that they are adding more varieties soon. How cool is this???

Photobucket

Now to search to see if I can find a store close to me in Florida.

No comments: